Hudson Historical Photo Galleries

HUDSON

A fishing village was established by Bill Lang and several area families by 1874. Four years later, Isaac and Amanda Hudson along with their eleven children arrived in a caravan of covered wagons. Their son, John Hudson, became the first postmaster in 1882 and Hudson became the name of the town.

The railroad between Brooksville and Hudson was completed in 1904. The train served the timber and turpentine industries in Hudson and provided Brooksville with access to the Gulf.

Victor “Bud” Clark began digging canals in 1956 for the homes of Hudson Beach Estates. In 1960 the Public Beach opened.

Casey's Corner
This business was located at the corner of U. S. 19 and what is now State Road 52. The sign reads: Tallahassee 216, Dade City 33, Weeki Wachee 16. The photo is probably from the late 1940s.
4th of July
Fourth of July celebration in Hudson, 1950. Photo by Bill Maytum.
Isaac Hudson Residence
Residence of Isaac and Amanda Hudson, who are pictured on the porch. The town of Hudson is named for them. The caption says that the child is A. L. Hudson at age 7 and “grandpa is feeding the chickens at 5 years of age.” The home still exists, but has a different appearance. Photo courtesy of Michelle McLaughlin.
Contestants
This 1972 photo is taken from a Hudson Chamber of Commerce scrapbook.
Hudson Volunteer Fire Department
Left to right: Roy Sibley, Mike Mattix, Gary Mattix. Photo taken in 1969. Photo courtesy of Steve Mattix.
Hudson Suprex
This photo is taken from an advertisement for Hudson Suprex in the 1971 Gulf High School yearbook.
Fishermen and Spongers
Men at a store in Hudson. Front row: William J. Beard, Almer Overton (b. about 1903), Woodson L. Overton, Bill Eiland, unknown, Joseph Ingram. Back row: Willie Knowles, Tom Brady, Robert H. Knowles, John (Jack) Knowles, Michael Knowles Sr., unknown. A newspaper has this caption: “A group of early Hudson fishermen and spongers in 1910.” Photo courtesy of Brenda Knowles.
Fishing Warehouses
Three of the warehouses at the mouth of the creek at Hudson around the turn of the century. Photo taken by Eva Bush Henderson, provided to the historical society by Marvin Henderson.
Coral Sands Motel
This motel was one of many found on U. S. 19 in western Pasco County and pictured on post cards in that period. It is said to have been built in 1954. It was demolished in 2010, at which time it had a different name and not quite the same attractive appearance. Post card provided by Henry Fletcher.
Show More
BECOME A PART OF OUR FAMILY

Membership Benefits

  • Free admission to the museum.

  • Quarterly newsletters.

  • Invitation to annual "Night at the Museum."

  • 10% discount at the gift shop.

Tel: 727-847-0680

6431 Circle Blvd

New Port Richey, FL 34652

Mailing Address:

PO Box 1904

New Port Richey, FL 34656

MUSEUM HOURS

Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays 1:00 - 4:00.

General Admission          $3

WPHS Members               Free

Children 12 and under    Free with an adult

Students                            $1

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

© 2020 by WPHS. Proudly created with Wix.com