Elfers Historical Photo Galleries
The Elfers Post Office was established in 1909 and the city was incorporated in 1925. The postmaster’s wife named the town after her favorite uncle whose last name was Elfers.
The Tampa and Gulf Coast Railroad made a stop at Elfers as it made its way between Lutz and Tarpon Springs in 1909. Rail service ended shortly after the Citrus Packing House burned down in 1966.
Reverend Jesse Mitchell served as the first and only Mayor of Elfers. Mitchell led much of the development of Elfers. He served 12 years as a Pasco County Commissioner and was elected the first State Senator from Elfers. The Great Depression and high taxes brought about an end to the town’s incorporation in 1933.
Mitchell and Hudson General MerchandiseOne of the earliest businesses in Elfers. Pictured are Homer Henderson (left) and Elzie C. Hudson, grandson of Isaac W. Hudson Sr.
Elfers SchoolThe Elfers school, built in 1914-15, was the first brick school in western Pasco County. This photo was taken on Jan. 28, 1926. Remarkably, this school had only two principals from 1937 to 2006—Mittye P. Locke and Dennis Taylor. This building now houses the CARES Elfers Center.
Elfers Basketball TeamPictured are Roscoe Baker, Marvin Henderson (right front), Calder Edenfield, unknown, Waldo Baker.
Swartsel GrovesPictured are Joseph Dale Swartsel and Everett "Eddie" F. Swartsel. This photo was taken in May 1966.
Mitchell BuildingThis building was built in 1926 by Jesse Mitchell, the leading citizen of Elfers. It was originally intended to house a bank but the bank did not materialize. Instead it has housed numerous businesses over the years, with apartments upstairs.
Daugherty ApartmentsWe do not have much history of this building,which no longer exists. The Daugherty Apartments are known to have operated in the early 1950s.
Elfers Citrus Packing HouseThe Elfers Citrus Growers Association packing house began operation in 1920. This photo was taken on Jan. 28, 1926, on Grand Boulevard. The building was destroyed by fire in 1966.